WHAT ARE WE DOING TO ENSURE GREATER CHOICE, VOICE AND CONTROL FOR PEOPLE ON THE SPECTRUM?
A TALK BY DR. WENN LAWSON
25 March 2017
National Centre for Autism, New Delhi
Action for Autism Conducted a workshop on Enabling Choice by Dr. Wenn Lawson. Dr. Lawson is an individual with Autism. He is a researcher, psychologist, poet, a parent and a grandparent.
He has published many journal articles and written several books including his autobiography. His work explores individuals with Autism with reference to impact upon learning styles with respect to his experience of life encounters. He is a strong advocate and strives to promote equality and a truly inclusive society.
During the span of the workshop we learnt:
- Recognizing strengths and interests to harness the best outcome
- Valuing the individuals diffability
- Coping with typical life values (disappointment, transition, respecting self, confidence etc.)
- Other ways to communicate (gestures, reflective behaviors, usage of speak and spells, apps, PECs etc.)
- Making a record of interests and joining the individual will motivate him/her
The Workshop was conducted by a combination of an interactive lecture, presentation and videos.
A mixed group of parents, professionals from different disciplines and students attended the workshop making the total number of participants 63 in total.
Here are some of the highlights: